Tuesday 17 September 2013

Kirsty Whitlock







Kirsty Whitlock embroiders unusual surfaces making the mundane exceptional and challenging the consumer culture by transforming trash into treasure.
"I use recycled and reclaimed materials as a response to the throwaway culture of consumerism. My chosen medium depends on the concept I am exploring. I love to re-use materials if I can sew on it I will usually work with it! My work explores the potential of communicating a social message through the use of discarded household items, including plastic carrier bags and newspapers, using them as a format for machine embroidery." Kirsty Whitlock

1 comment:

  1. Now THIS is the way to embroider on life - for real!

    Cant wait to have a go myself.I keep a mason jar and fill it with mementos from the year and then quilt it into a piece.

    ReplyDelete